Lemon and Rocket Risotto
Preparation: 10 mins
Cooking: 20-30 mins
Serves: 4-6 (or 2-3 hungry Cheesmen)
SW Info: ~1 syn for the lot
[add 4 syns if using martini...
...and ~6 if not using cheese as Healthy Extra]
- 2 onions, finely sliced [or leeks]
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- zest and juice of 3 lemons
- good slug (~142ml) of dry white martini (optional)
- 500g risotto rice (e.g. arborio)
- ~1l vegetable stock (we make using ~1½ tbsp Knorr "Touch of Taste")
- ~200g rocket (original recipe says 200g for 300g rice, which is VERY expensive; you don't really notice a bit less!)
- good handful of fresh parmesan, grated
- crisp green salad (though avoid strong-tasting leaves!)
- Fry the onion [or leek] in Fry Light until soft; add the garlic and lemon zest and cook for another couple of minutes
- Add quite a lot more Fry Light and the rice, stirring until well-coated and the pan is fairly dry. Add the martini [if using], being sure to stand well back (mmm... fumes!) and stir until absorbed
- Add the stock a little at a time and stir in well: you have to keep stirring pretty much constantly from this point in and don't whatever you do let the mixture catch. This really is the only way to make risotto: it takes a bit of time and effort, but is really worth it! You'll need to keep watching how the rice is cooking in order to know how much stock to add over the cooking period and you can vary the amount towards the end by adding less (or topping up with boiling water) to suit how you like it. We tend to have ours fairly stiff, so when you stir the mix, it takes a good few seconds to settle back again, but not too dry.
- You will probably need to cook the risotto for about 20-25 minutes: it's done when the rice is cooked, but still has a bit of bite; the whole mix should be really creamy in consistency.
- When the rice is cooked and the consistency to your satisfaction, remove from the heat and stir in the rocket, cheese and lemon juice; again, you'll need to work out how much juice suits your palette, but don't skimp! Season well, but beware of overdoing it, as rocket is very peppery and stock can be quite salty...
Adapted from off of the back of a Sainsbury's Organic Arborio rice packet