Chocolate and Chestnut Torte
Preparation: 45 mins (plus chilling)
For the base:
- 100g (3½ oz) hazelnuts
- 100g (3½ oz) pecan nuts
- 75g (3oz) unsalted butter, melted
- 50g (1¾ oz) soft brown sugar
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
For the topping:
- 250g (9oz) dark chocolate
- 100g (3½ oz) caster sugar
- 150g (5½ oz) unsalted butter
- 2tbsp brandy
- 400g tin chestnut purée
- Juice of 2 clementines
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 250ml (9floz) double cream, whipped
- 1tbsp cocoa powder, to dust
- Grind the nuts in a food processor until coarse.
Mix with the butter, sugar and cinnamon, then press into a 25cm (10in) springform cake tin and chill.
- Gently melt the chocolate in a bowl set in a pan of simmering water. Beat the sugar and butter until creamy, add the
brandy, purée, juice and vanilla. Beat again.
- Fold in the chocolate, then the cream. Pour over the base and chill for two hours.
- Dust with cocoa powder and serve.
From Co-op magazine, Winter 2008