Preparation: not long, it's quite simple
- 175g (6oz) plain flour
- 175g (6oz) icing sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 175g (6oz) cold, unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 tsp grated lemon rind [optional, but nice]
- 4 eggs
- 375g (12oz) cater sugar
- grated rind of 1 lemon
- 120ml (4floz) fresh lemon juice
- 175ml (6floz) double cream
- icing sugar to dust
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/375°F/Gas 3. Grease and line a 32x22cm (13x9") baking tin
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, icing sugar and salt. Sprinkle over the cut up butter and lemon rind, if using. Rub in the butter until coarse crumbs form and the mixture sticks together
- Turn the crumbs into the prepared tin and press firmly into the bottom of the tin to form a level base, smoothing the top evenly. Bake until just golden, about 20 mins. Transfer the tin to a wire rack to cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs and caster sugar until fluffy - 3 to 5 mins. Beat in lemon rind and juice until blended.
- In another bowl with cleaned beaters, whip the cream until soft peaks form. Fold into the beaten egg mixture in two batches and pour over the base. Return the tin to the oven and bake until the topping is set, about 40 mins. Transfer the tin to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Remove from the tin, cut into bars and dust with icing sugar. Store in single layers in airtight containers
From The Complete Book of Baking (Colour Library Direct, 1999)